In the past week or so I have hung out with my friend Fenyo about four times... with plans to hang out again on Saturday. It's so funny because we have probably only done stuff together about five times before this past week in the entire year.
Last night Fenyo and I met with our friend Tamas who was visiting from out of town. We took a nice little walk up at Normafa, played some English word games, talked about life, then we to a little "Borozo" (wine cellar.) As we were drinking our wine and talking about things in the past Fenyo asked me something about why I was in Hungary and how long I planned on being here. So then I told him and Tamas the story.
In high school I loved my group of friends that I found in Hungary. Yes... they were crazy... no, they did not live the lifestyle that I wanted to live... but they accepted me for who I was, no questions asked. When I think back on high school, that half a year was the best semester. Of course it was completely different from any other semester and in no way comparable, but it was amazing and taught me a lot about who I am.
When I returned to the states I was disappointed because I had not shared my faith with these friends very well. I had tried a little bit, but I was too distracted by other things in life, like having everybody love me. (This is still a struggle for me... I want everyone to LOVE me and think that I am the coolest things since buttered toast. I might be a bit egotistical.)
As time passed I kept in touch with Tamas. I wrote many letters to him about God and life, and when we both got email we communicated that way.
In college I was able to go back. Tamas and I talked about God a lot, but he never really made any decision or commitment. After that I had no idea when I would be able to go back to Hungary again.
At that point in my life I had this longing to do mission work somewhere, so I got an internship in Cologne, Germany for the summer. Since I was already in Europe I decided to go visit Hungary. Tamas, Fenyo and our other old classmates planned a party by a lake in southern Hungary. This party was a huge turning point in my life. As the night when on everyone drank quite a bit. Then one of the guys decided that he wanted to drive home. A series of events ensued which ended in him breaking the window out of his car, then driving off by himself. At this point I was scared to death, memories of a high school tragedy involving drunk driving running through my head. I was so frustrated that I could not stop him. I was sad that he did not value his life more than that, and I was fearing the worst. I had to get away.
I walked to the end of the street to pray and cry out to God. I was all alone in the dark, tears streaming down my face. I wept and asked God to protect my friend. I asked Him what his plans were for Hungary. Who was he going to send to the youth of Hungary? Who will teach them about Him? Who will show them that there is more to life than drugs, sex, and money? And God spoke to me, there in the dark. In a loud voice He said: I am sending you.
In that moment, my life changed.
Last night, as I told Fenyo this story, I could see his face soften. He and Tamas know how much I love them. I love them with a love that can only come from the Lord. I want them to know whole heartedly that following God is a better way. God loves them. And I could not live in Hungry if I did not have a love for its people and culture that was deeply seeded in me. God put that seed of love for Hungary in me at a long age and he has caused it to grow over time.
Fenyo said that he wanted to talk about this with me more. He said that he needed to think about and process these things a bit more first though.
It was getting late, I had to leave so that I did not miss the last HEV.
The look on Fenyo's face was one that was open and soft. Hearing about how God has worked in my life did not turn him away from me, as I have feared for all these months.
Last week I read 1 & 2 Timothy, and we even discussed this particular verse at Bible study last week: For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline. (2 Tim. 1:7)
This verse hit me hard last week when I went to the Gospel concert with my colleagues and Fenyo. It hit me hard last night too. All this time I have been forgetting that I do not need to be timid if I am trusting in the Lord. He gives power, love and self-discipline. Without knowing how much I love these guys, they might not have responded the same. God strengthened me to be able to give this testimony about Him and how He works in my life. It took so much self control to keep telling the story and not worry about the reaction. When you trust in the Lord He makes a way and guides you in doing his will.
As I mentioned before... Fenyo and I are going biking on Saturday. I think Lauren is going to join us. Please pray for me to have the right words and for Fenyo's heart to be open.
Grace and peace
<><
Wednesday, May 14, 2008
Old Friends, New Conversations
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
When you get to the end of all the light you know
and it's time to step into the darkness of the unknown,
faith is knowing that one of two things shall happen:
either you will be given something solid to stand on,
or you will be taught how to fly.
-Edward Tellar
1 comment:
I Love You!
Post a Comment