The first time someone mentioned The Shack to me was over the summer. I had no idea what it was about, but they acted like it was sort of a big deal. I proceeded to forget what they had said and moved on with my life.
About two weeks ago it seemed like every day someone brought up The Shack, asked if I had read it, asked someone else if they could borrow it, everyone had a waiting list, etc. So I figured it was time I read it. I asked at the Christian Library when I went for Wednesday night Bible study there. Carol said that they actually do not have a copy yet, but she has a personal copy that I may borrow. Yes!
At first I was a bit horrified... I mean... the beginning of the book is very sad. Missy is kidnapped and no one knows what happened to her for sure.
And there there was a lot of doubt... is this story real? Would God really send someone a note in the mail?
Next there was conviction... I need God... Papa... Jesus... Holy Spirit... I need to be in relationship with him/them all the time. I want to talk to Papa as if I were sitting on a park bench with my best friend... not all awkward, feeling like my words spin around the room and no one hears them. I know God hears my prayers... but I still doubt.
I also feel very convicted that I am not very good at building relationships. I am selfish. Very selfish. I only want to build relationships with people who will benefit me... instead of seeing how God has put them in my life for me to serve them, to impact them. It is not about me... it's about Jesus and what He did on the the cross for EVERY person I meet... not just the ones I like!
So... basically... what I am saying is... read the book. You can buy it online or borrow it from Carol at the Christian Library in Budapest (I also think the Ballantynes and Joanna have a copy).
Also... just remember that The Shack is a book that will convict you... and then you need to turn to prayer and the word of God to act upon the conviction.
Happy reading...
PS: Mary said this and I think it is important: Conviction is from God... Guilt is from the Evil One. The Shack will convict you... in your heart.
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
The Shack by William P. Young
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
When you get to the end of all the light you know
and it's time to step into the darkness of the unknown,
faith is knowing that one of two things shall happen:
either you will be given something solid to stand on,
or you will be taught how to fly.
-Edward Tellar
1 comment:
Interesting perspective on the book. It's been the topic around here too. I loved the beginning of the book, until he got to the cabin. Hated it from there on out. My family loved it. Regardless, it sure makes you think. I like what Mary said too. Hope you get over your cold soon!!
Post a Comment