Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Slowly but Surely

Last Sunday I sold even more pies and raised some more funds. I also found out how much the Bozeman church of Christ was planning on contributing. This was very good news, and now I am feeling very confident that God will provide all that I need for next year. God is good.

Since I found out that my assignment within Hungary would be in Budapest I have been researching things to do there. I stumbled across some previous Teach Overseas blogs and read through some of them to get a feel for what it will be like. This was very encouraging and informative, so I feel much better prepared now. Some things that I discovered while looking into Budapest online were the Budapest Symphony/Philharmonic. Concerts at the opera house can be extremely cheap: 300Ft for the cheapest seats! That is under $2! They also have some great deals on concert series where they have weeks of concerts for a discounted rate.
My other major discovery was the Debreceni Nyari Egyetem: the Debrecen Summer School. Not only do they have a branch in Budapest... but not all their classes are in the summer! I took a placement test just to find out what level of Hungarian I would be placed at. It would be wonderful to take Hungarian lessons next year, as my language skills are a little rusty. These classes are rather intensive, but they are also very affordable. (Especially in comparison to the Goethe Institutes German classes that I had considered last summer!)
You will see one of my discoveries to the right in a link: the Budapest Sun. This is an English language weekly newspaper. I have been reading the newest articles every day to keep up on Budapest and Hungary.

Something sad that I learned about Hungary while reading an article in the Budapest Sun is that rape victims have a very hard time proving that they were raped in Hungary. Amnesty International has actually taken a stand on this! You can help out by sending a letter or email to the PM of Hungary from Amnesty's site.

Your continual support through prayer is much appreciated! Please pray specifically for rape victims in Hungary, and for this situation to improve!

1 comment:

JaamZIN said...

yes..my luck is that the best music and other artworks (like art movies, old films) are so cheap here:)

When you get to the end of all the light you know

and it's time to step into the darkness of the unknown,

faith is knowing that one of two things shall happen:

either you will be given something solid to stand on,

or you will be taught how to fly.

-Edward Tellar