Two weeks from tomorrow I will be leaving the country. It feels very good to be done with half of training.
Major highlights of last week included:
-seeing my friend Jimmy on Sunday night,
-teaching Hungarian to the other teachers going to Budapest,
-playing ultimate Frisbee for two hours at night,
-eating dessert at Claim Jumper with the Central Europe teachers,
-going to the beach on Saturday, playing in the waves and having a bonfire
-teaching the very beginning level English students at practicum
-eating sushi and Roscoe's Chicken 'n Waffles instead of cafeteria food
It has been really good to get to know the other teachers even better this past week. More Alums have been coming and they have so much to share with us about being overseas, it is very helpful. Teaching Hungarian has been another challenge that I was only somewhat prepared for. Thankfully former teachers have outlined what is most helpful to know and Lidia made a accurate curriculum a few years ago (she is Hungarian... so that helps.) Some of the material is difficult to wade through because there are a lot of mistakes in spelling and accent marks (not in Lidia's stuff.) I end up having to create a new overhead for every class, but they have been giving me the night off of practicum on the days I teach Hungarian so that is nice.
This week is focused on team building and I am really excited to get to know Deanna and Joanna better. (Maybe I should change my name to Anna-shea to fit in with my team's 'Anna' theme...jk) Training is flying by and I am so excited to get to Hungary!
My mom is going to fly out here right before I leave. I am really glad about that. For those in SoCal I will probably have a going away party a few days before I leave...
Things to pray about:
-team unity with Deanna, Joanna and the newly renamed 'Anna-shea'
-health and sleep
-brain like a sponge to absorb everything we learn about teaching
-grace in relationships
-humility (for me...)
-Budapest as a whole
-my future students
May the Grace and Shalom of our LORD Jesus Christ be with you now and always. Amen.
Monday, August 6, 2007
Half way there...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
When you get to the end of all the light you know
and it's time to step into the darkness of the unknown,
faith is knowing that one of two things shall happen:
either you will be given something solid to stand on,
or you will be taught how to fly.
-Edward Tellar
No comments:
Post a Comment